Sunday, September 26, 2010

A change of pace

Welcome back, and thanks for staying with me during the hiatus since my last post.

This blog has been in existence since 2005, and by rights I should have finished this project by now. However, I seldom find myself at liberty to compose the long-form reviews that this site has characteristically offered in the past. I am still finding time to read, as I hope you are, which is a good thing, but my appetite to move on to the next work has been diminished by the feeling that I should sit down and write a review first. This means I am reading less, yet not writing more, which is a far from ideal state of affairs.

The relaunch of the SF Masterworks imprint as an unnumbered series is now merely adding to the pressure. I have therefore decided to change the approach I take to the composition of reviews. From hereon in, I shall be offering short-form reviews which are impressionistic rather than exhaustive in their approach. If I find myself with the time to write additional content in the future, then I will do so. However, this blog was intended to be a spur to my reading rather than an obstacle to it, so whilst the critic in me undertakes this reorientation only reluctantly, I appreciate - sat here in front of my bookshelves as I am - that I need to pick up the pace if I am going to make any appreciable headway with the series.

I also hope to make this site rather less of the resolutely stolid 'web 1.0' vehicle that it is, and hope to add more social elements. To that end, thank you for your continuing support and interest in this project, and do please reach out with any comments or observations you may have.